“My life philosophy: Trust your intuition.”
Lisa’s retail legacy goes back to her hometown of Durham, North Carolina where she held her first job at Belk at age 16.
She later went to college a few miles away and earned her degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. From there, she embarked on a leadership journey holding various senior level positions across the retail landscape.
As CEO, Lisa leads the company in reimagining the department store. She fosters a culture where teams test and learn, make decisions using a growth mindset, and creates a workplace where associates feel comfortable being their authentic selves.
Before being named Belk’s first female CEO, Lisa spent five years as CEO at Hot Topic, Inc. Previously, she led Gymboree Manufacturing Inc. as the Chairwoman and CEO. She’s also held merchandising and design positions with several retailers including Limited Too, Esprit, Gap Kids, Mervyn's and Levi Strauss.
Five Fast Facts:
1. When I was a kid, I wanted to be: In charge.
2. Actress to play me in a movie about my life: Jane Fonda for theatrical release, Jean Smart for made for TV movie.
3. Three must-have foods on a deserted island: Watermelon, Thai curry, popcorn.
4. Best advice I’ve ever received: Do it your way.
5. People would be surprised to know: I am shy.